CHOICE for Youth and Sexuality (CHOICE) is a professional youth-led organization that advocates for the Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) of young people globally. We firmly believe that young people should be able to make informed and personal decisions regarding their sexual and reproductive health. Moreover, it is our core conviction that young people should participate meaningfully in decisions, policies and programs that affect their lives, in particular related to their SRHR. We strengthen the capacity of young people and youth-led organizations, enabling them to become leaders and change-makers in their communities.
CHOICE promotes and supports young people’s SRHR through our International Advocacy and Youth Leadership Programme. In our International Advocacy Programme we influence policy and decision making at an international level, for example by lobbying at the United Nations in New York and Geneva. CHOICE also develops programmes to connect young people around the world so that they can enter into a dialogue about, among other things, human rights and SRHR. With our Youth Leadership Programme CHOICE promotes and actively supports capacity building of young people and youth-led organizations in (mainly) Africa and Asia on advocacy, SRHR, and organizational development.
CHOICE is looking for a Program coordinator Youth Ambassador SRHR/Communication coordinator (32 hours a week) to start as soon as possible.
The Dutch Youth Ambassador for SRHR, freedom of choice and gender equality (YASRHR) program is a joint program between CHOICE and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The objective of the program is to give young people a voice in the international policy development, implementation and evaluation on SRHR, bodily integrity and gender equality of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The YASRHR facilitates the link between young people and policy makers in order to make sure that the work of the ministry links to the reality of young people around the world.
The position consists partly of coordinating the program for the YASRHR and partly of coordinating CHOICE’s communication. You are responsible for supporting the Dutch Youth Ambassador SRHR in their work, leading the joint effort of CHOICE and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign affairs in making sure that youth are involved in all of the ministry’s work, and effectively implementing CHOICE’s communication strategy. Furthermore, you are in charge of strengthening our online resource-hub YOU(TH) Do IT!
In this position you will:
- Be responsible for the program management of the YASRHR, which includes regular contact with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, monitoring and evaluation of the program, reporting and recruitment of the YASRHR.
- Support the YASRHR in developing and implementing their work plan, managing speaking requests, and planning and coordinating YASRHR trips.
- Provide communication support to the YASRHR.
- Set up a youth advisory group at the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs in cooperation with multiple parties such as the Ambassador for Youth at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the YASRHR, the Dutch National Youth Council (NJR), etc.
- Train the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Embassies of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in meaningful youth participation.
- Implement the CHOICE communication strategy and work closely together with the external communication cluster of the CHOICE youth advocates.
- Be responsible for the upgrade and maintenance of our online resource hub YOU(TH) Do IT!
You are a true youth advocate. You have expertise and knowledge of the practices and techniques of communication, including social media experience. Furthermore, you are interested in Dutch national and international policy on SRHR and gender equality and meaningful youth participation in the (inter)national policy spaces.
Furthermore, you possess:
- Demonstrable experience in social media and skills in writing and editing articles and blogposts.
- The ability to translate complex technical language and ideas into language easily comprehensible to non-specialist;
- Excellent writing, research and analytical skills;
- An HBO degree of extensive relevant working experience;
- Sensitive and responsive to SRHR issues and other core CHOICE values;
- Excellent interpersonal, networking, communication, negotiation and facilitation skills;
- Excellent language skills in English and Dutch. Speaking French/Arabic is a plus.
- Experience in designing and facilitating trainings is a plus.
We offer a year contract with possible extension and a monthly salary between € 2289 and € 2545 gross on a basis of a 36-hours workweek, depending on the offered relevant (professional) work experience. The position will include 3 – 4 international trips a year.
We highly encourage candidates under the age of 27 to apply for this position.
Note: Only applicants in possession of a valid work permit for The Netherlands or who currently possess a valid search year (zoekjaar) visa will be considered.
A written application with CV and contact details of two references can be send, until 19 January 2020 by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org att. Nathalie Metheuver. The interviews will take place between 20 and 31 January 2020. The preferred starting date would be as soon as possible. Note that (travel) expenses made by applicants cannot be reimbursed.
For more information you can visit our website www.choiceforyouth.org or contact Nathalie Metheuver by email at email@example.com or by phone: 020-7370179.
All young people worldwide should be able to explore, experience and express their sexualities in healthy, pleasurable and safe ways.