VACANCY CHAIR OF THE BOARD (minimum 2 years)
CHOICE for Youth and Sexuality (CHOICE) is a professional youth-led organization that advocates for the Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) of young people globally. We firmly believe that young people should be able to make informed and personal decisions regarding their sexuality, love and relationships. Moreover, it is our core conviction that young people should participate meaningfully in decisions, policies and programs that affect their lives, in particular related to their sexuality.
CHOICE is looking for a:
CHAIR PERSON OF THE BOARD (8-10 hours p/w)
The Board is the governing body of CHOICE and has the final responsibility for organizational development and the execution, continuity and monitoring the long-term strategic direction. The Board shares the vision of CHOICE and carries this vision out, both externally and internally. As a the Chair of the Board, you:
- Chair the Boad Meetings and take a leading role on the Board in general,
- Function as the main sparring partner of the Executive Director,
- Lead the Board in guiding CHOICE's strategic direction,
- Work closely with the Treasurer on several topics, including on financial governance and oversight,
- Support in the development of new, and implementation of existing, policies concerning financial management, integrity, operations, and annual reporting,
- Contribute to the CHOICE operations in a supporting mode,
- Support in the development of strategic (MAS) and annual (Year) planning and reporting processes,
- Help lead and oversee the implementation of our new governance structure
- Network with relevant organizations to build partnerships and secure funding.
- Are involved in all other aspects of the Board’s functioning, such as critically reviewing and voting in on relevant policies and matters relating to CHOICE’s functions.
What do we offer?
We offer a challenging position full of learning opportunities concerning organizational development, administrative management and development cooperation. As Chair of the Board you have the chance to grow professionally and build a strong network. CHOICE provides Board with a training budget to develop or strengthen competences. The Chair of the Board receives a small monthly compensation (300 euro) and is reimbursed for the expenses that they make for CHOICE-related activities.
What do we expect from you?
As Chair of the Board you fully support the values of CHOICE and you see young people/volunteers as equal partners. You have ambitions for yourself and the organization and are motivated to help CHOICE grow with your efforts and ideas. You must also be present (physically or virtually) at monthly Board meetings, finance meetings and monthly General Meetings.
Knowledge of the international development sector both within and outside The Netherlands and/or knowledge of the Dutch legal system is considered a significant advantage.
Furthermore, we will be looking for the following key competencies:
- Excellent communication skills in English (knowledge of Dutch is a plus);
- Leadership skills;
- Team-player, but able to work independently;
- Flexible (willing to work during the workday, in evenings and/or weekends depending on the week);
- A structured and accurate person;
- You are located within The Netherlands and willing to travel tot he CHOICE office in Amsterdam 2-4 times per month once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
We aim to recruit the person who is most suited to the job and welcome applications from young people of all backgrounds – people of all genders, sexual orientations, nationalities, religions and beliefs. We also encourage you to apply even if you do not match all the criteria listed above but believe you would be a good fit for the position.
Are you interested in leading a dynamic and ambitious organization and are you available for 8-10 hours per week for a period of at least two years? Please send your letter of motivation and resume in English by June 13th 23:59 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or questions, you can send an e-mail to email@example.com.