VOLUNTEER VACANCY: BECOME A YOUTH ADVOCATE FOR CHOICE!
Advocate for and contribute to young people's sexual and reproductive health and rights and develop yourself as a youth leader.
CHOICE for Youth and Sexuality (CHOICE) is a professional youth-led organization that advocates for the Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) of young people globally. We firmly believe that young people should be able to make informed and personal decisions regarding their sexual and reproductive health. Moreover, it is our core conviction that young people should be able to participate meaningfully in decisions, policies and programs that affect their lives.
JOIN US AS A YOUTH ADVOCATE!
· An individual who thinks all young people have the right make choices about their sexual and reproductive lives?
· A go-getter who is proactive and who can work independently as well as in teams?
· Someone who believes young people should meaningfully participate in decision making that affects their own lives?
· An inquisitive person who is interested in learning more about youth issues, sexual and reproductive rights, and working for a dynamic, young non-profit NGO?
· Between 16 and 25 years old?
Then CHOICE for Youth and Sexuality is looking for you! As of January 2020, we are looking for new Youth Advocates (4-6 hours per week) to join our team.
YOUR OPPORTUNITES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a Youth Advocates you will work with other young people on all kinds of different projects and tasks advocating for the improvement of young people's SRHR and participation in the Netherlands and abroad.
Advocates are part of one of the following Long-Term Working Groups:
1. Advocacy Guidance Group is responsible for monitoring advocates’ well-being and participation. They organize teambuilding activities, initiate new recruitment rounds and identify needs for capacity building.
2. External Communication Group works together with the Communication Officer for social media channels, branding, public relations (PR) and photography.
3. National Advocacy Group is responsible for coordinating national level advocacy and further the implementation of the national level advocacy strategy.
In addition, as an advocate you are encouraged to start up your own projects and explore your own interests and qualities. You can develop yourself as trainer, an expert in UN-language and text revisions, blog writing, campaigning, organizing activities for your fellow advocates etc. Advocates also support the staff of CHOICE with ad-hoc projects.
In the past for example, advocates went to New York to participate CSW, advocates have organized workshops on UN advocacy processes, given trainings on Youth Leadership skills and even organized panel discussions during Pride Week!
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
· Expertise on sexual and reproductive health and rights, meaningful youth participation and youth leadership!
· Lots of opportunities to learn and exchange knowledge with other young advocates. CHOICE promotes the ‘learning by doing’ principle.
· Experiences! Be part of a professional non-governmental organization. Train or be trained and improve your leadership skills. Advocate for young people’s SRHR abroad or in the Netherlands. Network with other young advocates from all over the world.
· Travel costs for all CHOICE activities (including meetings) are reimbursed and we offer professional supervision in the preparation of all (international) activities.
WHAT DO WE EXPECT?
It is important that you are interested in the topic of SRHR. Aside from enthusiasm, we want you to bring:
· Flexibility! We ask you to spend a minimum of 4 hours per week on CHOICE on average. Based on the advocates’ experience, sometimes this is 12 hours per week for two weeks and 1-2 hours per week for another week. Advocates meet with their project groups and attend general meetings (GMs). GMs are organized once every six weeks, on a Thursday evening.
· Input! Even if you are new to the organization, we value your opinion and ideas. Therefore, we appreciate your input on the way the organization works. With diverse backgrounds, every CHOICEr can put their own expertise on the table.
· As an active CHOICEr, it is important that you fully support our charter which underlines progressive issues such as free choices regarding sexuality, LGBT+ rights and safe and legal abortion.
· Long-term commitment! The knowledge and skills you obtain at CHOICE are extremely valuable and good for organizational sustainability. Therefore, we expect you to stay a member for at least one year.
Dutch nationality and knowledge of the Dutch language are not required. We specifically encourage people of colour and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities to apply.
A motivation letter with CV (in English) should be sent before the 21st of November by email to email@example.com, with Application: Youth Advocate in the subject line. You can use the same email address if you have any questions regarding the vacancy. The preferred starting date would be January 2020. (Travel) expenses made by applicants cannot be reimbursed.
All young people worldwide should be able to explore, experience and express their sexualities in healthy, pleasurable and safe ways.